Find Something

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday (#84) - Rise by Stephanie Clifford


Waiting on Wednesday is Hosted by Jill @ Breaking The Spine

Everybody Rise
Goodreads Summary: An extraordinary debut novel by New York Times reporter Stephanie Clifford—a Bonfire of the Vanities for the 21st century mixed with Curtis Sittenfeld’s Prep and Amor Towles's Rules of Civility.

It’s 2006 in the Manhattan of the young and privileged, and a new generation of heirs and strivers are jockeying for social power and discovering that class, especially on the Upper East Side, still holds sway.

At 26, Evelyn Beegan is the product of new money, propelled by her social-climbing mother through an elite prep school, a posh college, and into Manhattan. Evelyn has always managed to stay just on the periphery of this world her mother so desperately wants her to become a part of. But when she takes a job at a new social networking site aimed at her very elite peers, she’s forced to leverage her few connections to work her way to the front of the pack. With the help of her prep school friends, Evelyn goes from lush "camps" in the Adirondacks and "cottages" in Newport, to Southampton weekends and clubs thick with socialites and Wall Street types, eventually befriending target #1, Camilla Rutherford—a young woman who is a regular on the front page of every society blog.

In order to be accepted by this rarefied set, Evelyn must be seen as someone with established old money. Her lies start small, but quickly grow, and as she relentlessly elbows her way up the social ladder, the ground underneath her begins to give way. 
Why I'm Waiting For It: The minute I saw this on Goodreads I knew I had to feature it for my WoW! Social classes? Manhattan? Boarding school but also a job at a social networking site? Count me in! Definitely have high hopes for this one, and I do hope it turns out good, some reviews on Goodreads say it was a letdown. So hopefully it turns out good for me and I am obsessed with the cover! 

Rise by Stephanie Clifford hits shelves August 18, 2015 from St. Martin's Press!

Find Rise On:

3 comments:

  1. this modern twist on a classic theme really intrigues me! My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you'll enjoy this one, Patrick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I just Tagged you in a BookTag here.

    http://elsentirenloslibros.blogspot.com/2015/08/booktag-amante-de-libros.html

    Hope you like it and answer the questions!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Template by In Between Design Studio